L’article de cette section apparaît dans sa langue d’origine.
Indian Head, a beautiful prairie town, is nestled in the flat grain lands of south east Saskatchewan. This community of one square mile is anchored on the corner of the Trans-Canada and # 56 Highways, less than one hour east of Regina and 15 minutes south of the scenic Qu’Appelle Valley. The Federal Research Farm (1886) which leads the way in agriculture research and conservation completes our eastern border. All are surrounded by some of the best grain and livestock farms in our province.
Our Town was founded by Major William R. Bell in 1881 who wanted a direct route to the railway for the grain grown on his 53,000 acre farm. A fine community grew from a few tents on the bald prairie into a town incorporated in 1902 with a current population of 1,910. From any direction, one sees an oasis of majestic trees, beautiful in all seasons and almost concealing the well-tended yards and gardens. We have the oldest Horticultural Society (1926) in our province. Educational opportunities reach pre-school to Community College. Sports programs are available year around. A hospital with doctors and ambulance including related health services are available for town and surrounding residents. A veterinary clinic cares for the animals. There is a wide range of community services, including the RCMP. Displaying the true community spirit that is evident in our town, a skate park was built in 2017 and a new toddlers’ playground is under construction. We pride ourselves in engaging all ages in community activities.
The Town of Indian Head recently replaced our water treatment plant and made infrastructure improvements. A curbside recycle program has been enthusiastically embraced as we move our landfill to a transfer station. New residential and business subdivisions are being developed, but many of the homes and businesses of earlier times built from locally produced bricks or fieldstone, are still occupied today. We have five designated heritage buildings. A giant Indian head statue welcomes visitors as does our award-winning camp grounds. We cherish our history, portrayed in our two museums, the Bell Barn and our Grand Theatre…built in 1904.
Communities in Bloom has, since 2004, developed valuable partnerships with Town Council, businesses and residents both urban and rural. From our first project of 20 hanging baskets, to the development of pocket parks, planting and watering of floral displays, regenerating our community orchard and our urban forest, plus the annual community clean-up, all efforts are supported by dedicated volunteers. We continue to make Indian Head “your kind of town”.
Site web: www.townofindianhead.com